Re: Debian for flash usb, external hdd or ssd

On 25.06.21 21:08, caio santos da silva wrote:
Hi Debian Team

My is Caio and I have a little idea for Debian system. My idea to you is the creation of a system exclusive for Flash USB, external HDD or SSD. Already exist the GNU/Linux Slax, such system able to install directly in a Flash USB, and its performance is really good, but it is a simple system. Thus my idea is about the creation of Debian for portables devices, which will be really interesting have a portable OS or multiples portables OS for new uses.

I hope that idea can be good for all users and new applications.

Bye.

I run my daily machine from a USB-Stick for years now without any problems. I simply installed to the USB-Stick and not to the HDD. Of course, USB3 is highly recommended over USB2. Nevertheless, USB2 does also work for me and I am also using it daily. My most important finding on system responsiveness is that minimum 2 MB CPU cache is required, and at least 3 MB is wanted. This parameter to me came out to be the most significant one to consider. Besides this, 4 years ago (I did not compare it recently) the usage of the GNOME desktop slowed down responsiveness strongly and I therefore decided for KDE Plasma which does not make me any problems on an almost 10 years old 4 GB RAM and Intel Core2Duo CPU hardware.
Good luck!
Marco.