Re: Debian and fingerprint readers

On Thu, Mar 04, 2021 at 05:57:15PM -0500, Sam Hartman wrote:
> The parts of Debian that are trying to do that are some of the desktop
> environments.  So, I'd approach the maintainers of Gnome and KDE and
> see if they are interested in recommending this functionality.

It could also be added to the laptop task, which would mean it would be
installed by default on all laptops that are installed with debian-installer

Alternatively, d-i has some hardware detection functionality, to install
the correct drivers for hardware that is found. One could add entries
for supported fingerprint readers to the hardware detection in d-i, and
then install the necessary packages.

The hard part, however, is configuring all this so it works correctly
out of the box, also for users who don't want to use it.

--
To the thief who stole my anti-depressants: I hope you're happy

  -- seen somewhere on the Internet on a photo of a billboard