Re: Problems of migrating Debian8 "Jessie" to Debian 10 "Buster"

On Sat, Sep 25, 2021 at 11:28:39AM -0400, Henry Chang wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> Because I could no longer install Debian 8 "Jessie" on new machine and
> update the old machines, I migrate to Debian 10 "Buster" with KDE Plasma.
> But I found lots of problems and would appreciate your help solve them:

Did you update to Debian 9 and then to Debian 10? If you skipped releases
- there's no straightforward way to work out what's gone wrong, necessarily.

This might be better asked in debian-user: debian-project is perhaps
not the most appropriate place.

> 1. "Buster" system freezes when I am running programs in various virtual
> desktop, especially YouTube. Is it a bug?
>
> 2. "Buster" no longer supports ecryptfs. Is there any other way to encrypt
> a directory?
>
> 3. Some of regex commends that worked on old Debian Jessie do not work on
> "Buster". What's wrong?
>
> 4. Is there any way to install the old "Jessie"?

You can always start again: install Jessie from the beginning then
update to the latest versions gradually. Back up / save any data
from the machine before you do so: the installation from new
will almost certainly wipe all data.

With every good wish

Andrew Cater