Re: forums.debian.net - who's in charge?

Hi good people

I'm a junior member of the admin team at forums.debian.net. I'll just copy/paste my reply to the thread Mez has started in the admin chat section of the forums:

>>>"I read that mailing list thread but don't get the point. The only concerns about "safety" I know of concern the fact the forums are http, not https. I've been a member of the forums since 2006 and Spam Hunter for a year or so. IMO the forums have improved over that time and the current admin team do an admirable job. Banning of members is almost exclusively for spammers, with only 1 or 2 others this year for bad behaviour and then only temporarily. An FAQ section has been introduced which has helped to reduce the incidence of "go RTFM" to virtually nil. Try that on the Arch forums which are much more elitist than FDN. The participation of DDs to answer some of the more difficult technical questions would be welcomed although there are some quite knowledgeable regulars and very few questions go unanswered. The main concern for admins is the lack of maintenance on the servers where there have been reports that CAPTCHA doesn't work properly and the listed admin contact emails are not contactable. Thanks Mez for what you do but the servers' software seems to need more regular attention.

The forums contain an encyclopaedia of Debian knowledge and answers to both common and rare issues, and is obviously way more popular as a reference than a simple post count would suggest as there are usually hundreds of people reading at any time - currently "In total there are 200 users online :: 1 registered, 2 hidden and 197 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)". To close the forums would be a travesty and leave a major vacuum in online knowledge and assistance for Debian users.

To alleviate those occasional complaints about safety, enable https.

And I would suspect the complaints alluded to on the mailing list may have come from someone like bkpsusmitaa who has been a serial menace and was just banned for a week for abusing the post report system. You can check if the IP they come from was from Barrackpore and Mysore, most recently 117.208.152.101 . The supposed complaints are likely an attempt to disrupt by someone with an axe to grind. I'm very interested to read exactly what those complaints are. The admin team have not received any recently to my knowledge."

Respectfully

Roger E.