Re: distributed moderation of mailinglist

Le Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 06:48:44PM +0100, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud a écrit :

> Email is by definition asynchronous, and some large delays (up to, say, 24h)
> are IMHO clearly acceptable for our large, central lists such as -devel or -
> project, if one's email address is not already known to send legitimate
> content.

I sometimes wonder if adding a random delay of 1 to 24 h for every
message (I mean: rolling the dice again for each message) on -project,
-devel, -vote and similar lists could help to make us more resilient to
trolling and at the same time more likely to have more constructive
discussions.

I think that it would incentive people to spend more time to write
well-thought answers, because it would reflect badly on posters of
half-backed messages to have them delivered after well-written ones.

As a consequence I also hope that it would also increase the diversity
of opinions and posters by reducing the audience of fast writers – who
still may end up broadcasted ~23 h after other people more lucky – and
also by reducing time zone effects.  There may be redundant answers but
they might have the merit to present the same argument with a different
point of view or a different background or vocabulary, and since they
would be written independantly and without the purpose of supporting
each other by sheer number, the redundancy would facilitate consensus
building.

Although the measure would not prevent trolls from posting, it would
limit their capacity to induce heated ping-pong discussions in which
upset people write things that they regret later because it irreversibly
hurt others.

Have a nice day,

Charles

(The idea of random delays is taken from the R posting guide
https://www.r-project.org/posting-guide.html)

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,