Re: Debian.net Team

On Wed, Sep 02, 2020 at 05:10:18PM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> On 02/09/20 at 13:49 +0200, Jonathan Carter wrote:
> > Hey Lucas

> > > How does it add more load on the DSA team?
> >
> > If you intend to make decisions or set up additional policy regarding
> > how debian.org subdomains are used, then you're going to have to involve
> > the DSA with that.
>
> My understanding is that the current situation is that we have two
> categories of services:
>
> 1/ official services, under the debian.org domain, hosted on machines
> managed by DSA, where some recommended practices[1] are enforced.
>
> 2/ unofficial services, under the debian.net domain, where all DDs can
> add their own services, with no control/review. It has happened in the
> past that such services were lost because the maintainer went MIA, or
> the machine was lost, or....
>
> I think that we agree that the problem you are trying to solve here is
> that some of the unofficial services are important services for Debian,
> and probably desserve more attention from the project. Also, we should
> avoid increasing the workload of DSA.
>
> What you are proposing is building a team that manages unofficial
> services on the debian.net domain. It might help services maintainers a
> bit, but I'm not sure it really helps the project enforce good practices
> for its services.
>
> My proposal was to keep debian.net for unofficial services, and instead
> make it easier to promote unofficial services to official services on
> the debian.org domain, by lifting the requirement that they need to be
> hosted on machines managed by DSA (and instead rely on cloud providers,
> for example), and designing a simple review process for candidate
> official services. This process would check things like: is the service
> sufficiently relevant/useful? is there a small team behind the service,
> or is it a one person's job? Is the code available and free? Are there
> critical design issues?
>
> DSA could of course participate in the review (and it would be great if
> they did), but it doesn't have to be their sole responsibility. And I
> don't think that managing DNS entries for those services would really be
> a huge workload. So I don't see a big increase on DSA's load here...

Speaking as someone who helps (with a small team) to manage
alioth-lists.debian.net which is a bit unusual (it's considered
part of the Debian Project on https://www.debian.org/legal/privacy; it
handles mail for lists.alioth.debian.org) I think your proposal makes
a lot of sense. I'd also add a security and privacy review, and a data
integrity review, to your list.

I can't promise to offer a lot of round tuits in the immediate future, but
I'd be happy to be part of a team running such a process.

Best
Dominic