Re: Draft Delegation for the Community Team

On Thursday, April 9, 2020 5:40:18 PM EDT Sam Hartman wrote:
> I'm pleased to finally be able to propose a Community Team delegation
> for discussion.  During the last year it has become clear that we can
> accomplish more at lower emotional cost when we have the Community Team,
> Account Managers and DPL working together, supporting each other.  It's
> become clear that the Community Team does need a project-level
> mission/mandate.
>
> I'd like to thank everyone who has served on the Antiharassment and
> Community Team over the years.
> I've read work from almost all of you as it crossed the DPL archives.
> And you all have made Debian a better place.
>
> I'd also like to thank those  who have agreed to serve on the community
> team.
>
> I'd particularly like to thank Steve for his leadership role in the CT
> this year.  We had a number of transitions, and Steve has gone from the
> newest member of the team to the most senior member.
> During that time he's worked to recruit and build the team as well as
> worked with the other members of the team to help define the mission.
> I think the set of names I'm putting forward is very strong, but I'm
> pleased that the team's recruiting efforts continue, and my successor
> will likely be updating the delegation to make things even better in the
> near future.
>
> We have been talking a lot about recruiting.  Some of that is because
> the community team has had high turnover over the years because it is
> emotionally demanding.  And so thinking about how we'll build a
> sustainable team has been important; that's been an issue that has been
> near the top of the list whenever I've talked to past members of the
> Antiharassment team.
> But more importantly we've been thinking about sustainability across a
> number of fronts.
> I think that's good.
> I think we should talk more about sustainability in our delegations.
> How will we build teams that grow and evolve as the project grows and
> evolves?  How will we create a climate where people can step away
> leaving things in good hands as their efforts change.
> I can't think of a better team to start working those important concepts
> into how we think about delegation, both because it is important, and
> because I think they have a lot to say about how to do it right.
>
> The Draft Delegation Text
> =========================
>

> I propose delegating the following developers as members of the
> Community Team.:
>
>   - Pierre-Elliott Bécue  (peb)
>   - Luke Faraone (lfaraone)
>   - Steve McIntyre (93sam)
>   - Jean-Philippe Mengual  (jpmengual)
>

> The Community team replaces the Antiharassment team, which was not
> delegated.
>
> This delegation is not time-limited.  It stands until updated or removed
> by the current or future DPL.
>
> I did consult the delegation advisory group in this delegation; I
> [...]

Constitution 5.1.4 give the DPL the power to "Make any decision for whom noone
else has responsibility."   Some of the items listed seem to be things that
the DPL has historically done, like "respond to concerns raised by members of
the project or people interacting with them".

Have you assessed the potential constraints this delegation might place on
future DPLs?  What is your perspective on things the DPL has traditionally
done that will now be delegated to this team?

Scott K