Re: distributed moderation of mailinglist

On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 08:55:18AM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> * Holger Wansing (hwansing@mailbox.org) wrote:
> > Geert Stappers <stappers@stappers.nl> wrote:
> > > Posting of subscriber with establish repuation
> > > go through without a delay. It skips "review queue"
>
> Sure.
>
> > > New subcribers will recieve postings. Their first
> > > posting gets a delay  of N minutes.
> > >
> > > The delay has a time-out. If no-one approved a posting
> > > from the review queue, the posting goes through the ML.
> > > Such "time-out-expired posting" tells that the pool of
> > > moderators is too small.
>
> Interesting idea..
>
> > > Please share your idea of such mailinglist features.
> >
> > The delay has to be something like 24h, not "N minutes".
> > Otherwise this is a too high burden for the moderators.
>
> Yeah, that doesn't strike me as a great approach either.

 :-)

When I wrote 'N minutes', I was thinking "configuration item
in the manual page".  Yes, delays will typically be
a multiple of  60 minutes.

I found https://gitlab.com/pglister/pglister

> is that non-subscribers and/or non-whitelisted folks do go to
> moderation, but we have a number of moderators and we more-or-less
> randomly pick the first moderator to email, if the mail isn't moderated
> after 5 minutes or so, we randomly pick a different moderator to email,
> and so on.

Nice algoritme,  nice load-balancer.

> We don't have any "automatically let the email through" option today,
> and we're pretty successfully able to moderate a lot of mail, let a
> lot of mail through,

I do read "Many volunteers on guarding duty".
Yes, that is truely distributed moderation.

> and have very very little spam get through (the little it does
> happen is almost always due to a mistake by a moderator, which does
> happen from time to time, of course).

Yes, human touch preferred.

> Thanks,
> Stephen