Re: Debian and Non-Free Services

On 9/16/19 6:53 PM, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> On 9/12/19 7:49 PM, Ansgar wrote:
>
>> That would just lead to packages using these to no longer including the
>> Vcs-* fields...  There are some valid reasons to host packages on
>> services such as GitLab or GitHub such as when they are hosted there as
>> part of the upstream project and/or for better cooperation with
>> upstream.

It's very much fine if you still host it on Salsa, and ask upstream to
pull from your repository.

Besides this, I found such cases pretty rare, and mostly, we get
upstream doing wrong/bad packaging, having a non-consistent with the
Debian archive debian/changelog (because they don't care our release
cycle and such), etc. Even with a very cooperative upstream, I don't see
how you would get a single and unique debian/changelog, when most also
care about Ubuntu. Do you have such concret example where Debian can use
the upstream repository without a single change?

> Either that or packages are just being removed from Debian and provided
> in an external repository.

That's entirely a package maintainer's decision, and so it is another
package maintainer's decision to take over the work. IMO, this is FUD.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)