Re: GR proposal: mandating VcsGit and VcsBrowser for all packages, using the "gbp patches unapplied" layout, and maybe also mandating hosted on Salsa

Hi,

> Norbert, I'm very annoyed by your wording. "Having an agenda" reads like
> if I was writing out of malice, on purpose, just to annoy you. That is

No, having an agenda is that you have a clear target which you want to
achieve.

> Reality is that you have no such opinion, you are just (rightly) pissed
> by the recent event around your account being revoked, then reinstalled.
> Also, this has to do with the foo-guest -> foo (and the other way around
> in your case), which needs to be fixed anyways. So this is IMO not
> relevant at all here.

Wrong. I simply realized that a system that is managed by a few
personals with rather free reign on what to do is not where I want to
work. You say github is nonfree, but removing rights on gh is
practically impossible, I don't know whether it actually happened.

I don't care for the nuclear case that MS decides to shut down gh from
one day to the next. The same can happen due to other reasons with
salsa, too - and we have seen this just last months. That is not the
problem, git has everything I care for, so I can just push somewhere
else.

I care more for arbitrary actions. And I don't want to say that the
removal of my access was an arbitrary action, but I want to say that
arbitrary actions are just too easy to happen on salsa with a small
management team, personal preferences and ideals. So simply put, I don't
trust that in future something similar might not happen out of different
and even more strange reasons, while I am quite sure that on GH this
will *not* happen. And I consider this more likely than the nuclear
action of GH closing down.

So please, don't assume anthing about what I think and read my
intentions. Thanks.

Norbert

Accelia Inc. + IFMGA ProGuide + TU Wien + JAIST + TeX Live + Debian Dev