Re: Alternatives to the Socratic Method

Hi Sam,

>     Chris> Personally, I have been over-indulgent in using such "devil's
>     Chris> advocate" positions in the past but after some feedback I
>     Chris> realised that it did not have the intellectually stimulating
>     Chris> quality I was hoping for […]
>
> I'd be really interested in the alternatives you're found helpful when
> what you really have are a lot of questions.

This appears to be a different category altogether and, alas, not one
I have insight into.

To elucidate, it was my understanding that the Socratic Method — at
least as the term is used today — refers to one interlocutor asking a
series of unfolding questions with the aim of leading another to reach
a particular point of view.

However, if one really does just have a collection of questions about
a topic then there is no desired outcome beyond seeking the answers
and furthermore no shepherding to a predestined position.

More salient to this thread however, is that in your scenario there is
no required element of taking an exaggerated-yet-plausible position
for iconoclastic effect which is what I was referring to in my quote
above. It was this particular rhethorical device I found to be an
obstacle to effective persuasion.

Just to clarify, I have no problem whatsoever with the Method, modulo
it often coming across as slightly pedantic or possibly pretentious
when used outside of a Dan Millman novel. Rather, I smart when a
series of «prima facie» questions are "just" asked in a potentially
passive-aggressive manner as detailed in a previous post.

Regards,

--
      ,''`.
     : :'  :     Chris Lamb