Re: Realizing Good Ideas with Debian Money

> But yes, it's entirely possible that I'm being too cautious.

I'd say, being cautious in this case is very warranted.

One of the things, that are good about Debian is, that it's _not_ cooperate.
"You will not work for free for a company.  Debian is not a company."

Throwing in money has a high risk of changing culture in a bad way -
work is no longer volunteer work, one has an obligation to do it,
no matter, if one can do it well or even is interested in it any longer.
One got paid and one has to fulfill.

Even too high requirements for bursaries can be destructive -
prove that you are worth this money, promise things
and show that you didn't waste that "money spent on your trip/your
accommodation".

> There are areas like DSA or security support that are essential, but
> not the "package the cool latest software" kind of work where volunteers
> are easy to find.

> ... continuous tasks to keep the project
> runnning, like DPL or system administration.

Money seems to be regarded far to much as the ultimate all problem solver.

Not finding volunteers for certain tasks might also be a sign,
that something is screwed up about that task that should be changed.

Long ago, someone suggested to pay AMs, because it was so hard to find such.
From todays prespective it reads quite amusing ;)

https://lists.debian.org/debian-newmaint/2006/04/msg00168.html