Re: Realizing Good Ideas with Debian Money

Russ Allbery:
> [..]
> I respect the desire to try social experiments and be bold, but my counter
> question is whether Debian as a project has the right training and the
> right people to conduct a proper social experiment *here*, on *this*
> particular topic.  Do we have economists?  Psychologists?  Do we know what
> the nature of the experiment would be?

How many of us have PhDs that are writing free software being deployed on many thousands of AWS clusters around the world? Then there are also many of us that started by tinkering with our own computers at home and slowly got experience along the way.

> For example, you say "democratic mandate," but what *specifically* does
> that mean?  Are we going to vote in a GR on who gets paid and who doesn't?
> Wouldn't that risk compensation turning into a popularity contest, or at
> least being perceived that way?  If we're paying someone under such a
> system, is there any accountability if they don't do what we're paying
> them for?  Is there someone supervising them, and if so, who?  Or are we
> just giving people $X and saying "do whatever you want with it"?  This
> stuff is very not easy to figure out.
> [..]

Straw man initial proposal:

1. GR for whether this is even a good idea, then
2. GR for high-level budget allocation, then
3. GR to approve/disapprove specific project proposals on spending the budget allocation.

Or, delegate some/parts of this to a team.

GPG: ed25519/56034877E1F87C35
GPG: rsa4096/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
https://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git