Re: Some thoughts about Diversity and the CoC

Hi folks,

We feel it is time to respond to this thread in our capacity as the
Community Team, and take a moment to remind everyone of some details
in the Code of Conduct.[1]

Notably, we'd like to bring your attention to the first point: ***Be
respectful***.

Please be respectful of others when communicating within Debian -
mailing lists, IRC, the BTS, *everywhere*. Name calling and direct or
indirect insults are not appropriate.

We explicitly recognize that being respectful includes being
respectful of people's identities. "A community in which people feel
threatened is not a healthy community," and expressing some opinions
(including those that are biphoobic, homophobic, misogynistic, racist,
or transphobic) creates a space where people feel threatened and is
not appropriate for the Debian Community.

We would also like to remind you that "what you write once will be
read by hundreds of persons." Journalists cover what happens in the
Debian Project and on Debian mailing lists. Even when you think you're
just communicating within the community, you are still representing
the community. Much of that communication is public.

Many of us have friends (or partners) within the Debian community and
there are those for whom it has become a significant social space in
our lives. Nonetheless, the Debian Project should also be considered a
professional environment. When in doubt, ask yourself: Would I say
this to a coworker or colleague?

If you're ever unsure about how you're expressing something or whether
something crosses a line, or to be reassured that you are a valuable,
welcome member of the community, please drop us a line at
community@debian.org and we'll do what we can to assist.

[1]: https://www.debian.org/code_of_conduct

Thanks and cheers,

Molly and Steve, for the Community Team