Re: Some thoughts about Diversity and the CoC

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 11:22:48AM +0100, Gerardo Ballabio wrote:

> That is because I believe that people's sexual identities are
> determined by objective facts, such as which chromosomes are there in
> their DNA, and not by how they subjectively "perceive themselves".

To be clear, and speaking as someone with a PhD in genetics, while you
are certainly free to believe this (in just the same way you are free to
believe that vaccines cause autism or that the earth is flat), you're
wrong and it's reasonable for people to disregard your opinion on this
matter.

You shouldn't be deprived of the right to express your incorrect
opinion, but there's no reason anyone should be obliged to give you
space to do so - and there's no reason to prioritise your desire to
voice your incorrect opinion over a recognition that that opinion causes
harm to others.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org