Re: Debian and Non-Free Services

Scott Kitterman wrote:
> No one is forced to use any VCS to maintain Debian packages.  If you don't want to talk to GitHub, send a patch to the BTS.

I believe it may be useful to think along the "preferred form for
modifications" clause of the GPL. Which is the "preferred form for
modifications" of Debian packaging? As I understand policy, currently
it's the source package. If that doesn't reflect actual practice, that
might be good reason to change policy.

In any case, I'd always expect the "preferred form" of all packages to
be available on the Debian infrastructure: one must not depend on any
external services, free or not, in order to be able to obtain it. So,
if Git-based packaging becomes the norm, it is my understanding that
the master Git repo of all packages must be hosted on Debian servers.

Clearly, maintainers can still host their own working copy wherever
they would like to, and there's no requirement to make it publicly
accessible through a free service, or at all.

Gerardo