Re: Debian and Non-Free Services

Le jeudi 12 septembre 2019 à 13:30:24-0400, Sam Hartman a écrit :
> I'm trying to move a thread from -devel.
>
> Ian Jackson responded [1] to part of a consensus discussion on Git
>   recommendations.  I had said that I think we recommend against the use
>   of non-free services like Github but do not forbid their use.
>   Ian disagreed with this recommendation.
>
> I responded [2] noting that around 7% of the packages with a vcs-git in
>   unstable are hosted on Github.
>
> Ian said [3] that he was confident if we had a GR to forbid use of services
>   like Github it would pass.
>
> He proposed the following text for such a GR.
>
> I think such a discussion is better on -project.
>
>   [1]:
>   https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/23927.51367.848949.15475@chiark.greenend.org.uk
>   [2]: https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/tslwoedy93e.fsf_-_@suchdamage.org
>   [3]:
>   https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/23930.17192.131171.455527@chiark.greenend.org.uk
>

>   Subject: Free Software Needs Free Tools
>
>   No Debian contributor should be expected or encouraged, when working
>   to improve Debian, to use non-free tools.  This includes proprietary
>   web services.  We will ensure this, insofar as it is within Debian's
>   collective control.
>
>   For example, Vcs-Git fields in source packages must not refer to
>   proprietary git code management systems.  Non-Debian services are
>   acceptable here so long as they are principally Free Software.
>
>   We encourage all our upstreams to use Free/Libre tools.
>
>   We recognise that metadata in Debian which describes the behaviour
>   of those outside our community, for example fields which refer to
>   upstream source management systems, may (in order to be accurate)
>   still need to refer to proprietary systems.

While I'm sensible to the motivations behind this idea, in my opinion¬:

 1. Restricting the platform where people would work on packaging stuff
    is more prone do deprive us from workforce than achieve any good. This also
    would complicate the interactions with our upstreams;
 2. Doing so by forbidding to see these in a metadata field looks like
    mere wishful thinking to me;
 3. Promoting and defending Free Software doesn't mean refusing to rely
    or touch any non-free software. We touch it each and every day;
 4. This kind of GR and the potential decision would just ostracize
    ourselves.

Living up to our own principles is a noble thing, but I'm not keen on
supporting such a GR as I think the drawbacks outweight the benefits for
the project.

I'm of course eager to change my mind if I missed something.

Best,

--
Pierre-Elliott Bécue