Re: Which idiot made Calamares used in Debian ?

    michael> The app is unaccessible for blind users fix your mess
    michael> before adding crap ...  -- Michaël C. Couturier

I understand your frustration.

It's true that there's not an supported accessible installer that you
can run once you've booted a live system.  In some ways this is a
regression over stretch.  Although the installer you could run from a
live system previously had a lot of bugs.

It's particularly frustrating that this was combined with a bug
discovered day of release that broke speech based installs for one of
the most popular sound card types in use.

I do want to stress that Calamares is only one of several ways to
install Debian.

We were aware of the accessibility issues with Calamares and would love
to see them improve in the future.

It's not a requirement that every new feature in Debian be accessible.

That said, having an accessible way to install Buster is important.
Booting the installer with speech enabled is supposed to do that.
In the 10.0R0 release of buster, this is not as reliable as we would
like.

Fixing this bug is well within the sorts of things we do in point
releases.  So I do expect installer accessibility to improve for future
Buster releases.

I also hope that over time Calamares accessibility improves.

That said, calling people idiot simply because you cannot use their
software is not appropriate on our lists.
Again, I do understand your frustration.
As a blind developer I'm feeling guilty that I didn't do more testing of
the speech-based installer for Buster.

Debian is best when we all work to improve it.

--Sam