Re: GR proposal: mandating VcsGit and VcsBrowser for all packages, using the "gbp patches unapplied" layout, and maybe also mandating hosted on Salsa

On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 11:59:59PM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> Big fat enormous NO!  gbp is a workaround for the biggest evil in our
> packaging: quilt.  Watching pro-git-only talks on the Debconf, I got the
> impression that if we dropped the VCS-in-VCS approach, there'd be no need
> for most of that complexity.

gbp is nasty stuff, yes.

Years ago I made plans to make good use of the "3.0 (custom)" source
format by writing one large patch into the finished source package.  It
would just work with non-linear history by simply diffing the branch
point and the head.

What is also missing: merge friendly changelog management.

> And, a flat tarball like .orig is no longer a preferred form for
> modification.  Do you remember the brouchacha in 2011 when Red Hat released
> their kernel sources that way?

It was never.  A tarball is a container of files.  The files inside are
the perferred form of modification.

Regards,
Bastian

--
It would be illogical to assume that all conditions remain stable.
		-- Spock, "The Enterprise Incident", stardate 5027.3