Re: RFC: endorse debian-mentors as entrance to our infrastructure projects

Hi again,

Jonas Meurer:
> So here's the idea we came up with: We could explicitely broaden the
> scope of debian-mentors to include any questions regarding Debian
> infrastructure software.
> That basicly would mean to explicitely mention "questions on
> infrastruc-ture projects" in our docs about debian-mentors.
> Additionally, when the infrastructure teams don't have time to mentor
> new contributors, they could point them to debian-mentors.
>
> My hope is that having debian-mentors as an endorsed entry point for
> diving into Debian infrastructure would lower the entry barrier
> significantly for new contributors who'd like to dive into our
> infrastructure software projects.

Thanks a lot to everybody involved in the discussion so far. Apparently
there's some support for the idea, so I'll try to drive it forward.

Next step will be to update the documentation about debian-mentors:

* Update the DebianMentorsFaq wiki page[1] and make it explicit that
  questions about Debian infrastructure projects and services are
  on-topic.
* Update the debian-mentors list description[2].
* Maybe add a shore paragraph about the scope of the debian-mentors
  channels to the startpage of mentors.debian.net? While it's a separate
  service, it probably is an entry point for prospective contributors.
* I already updated the description about #debian-mentors on the IRC
  wiki page[3].

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMentorsFaq
[2] https://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/
[3] https://wiki.debian.org/IRC

I'll try to take care of this within the next days. Nevertheless, help
would be appreciated ;) Are there any places that I'm missing?

Once this is done, it should be announced on more popular channels. Misc
Developer News[4] would be a good one and maybe also a dedicated mail to
debian-devel-announce?

[4] https://wiki.debian.org/DeveloperNews

I think the key to success here is that people in Debian (especially
those in infrastructure/service teams) have to adapt to the practice of
pointing newbies with their questions to debian-mentors.

Paul Wise:
> As someone who is regularly answering mentors questions, is a DSA
> member, a wiki admin, maintainer of the derivatives services and
> contributor to some of the QA services, I would be happy to answer any
> infrastructure questions that come up on debian-mentors.

That's fantastic news. Thanks a lot for being open to it and offering
help :)

Sam Hartman:
> I wonder whether it might be a good idea to write down which
> infrastructure services people in the mentors community are most able
> to help with.

I don't think, that's necessary - or even helpful. Also, it would mean
that some kind of "experts" for infrastructure projects would have to
volunteer for ansering questions on debian-mentors, which in my eyes
makes the whole idea way to complicated.

I think we should give it a try without explicitely documenting *which*
infrastructure services will be supported by debian-mentors. As Paul
said, people on debian-mentors might be able to help with research and
looking up things in case they don't know the answers themselves -
something that's already very useful for new contributers that tend to
get lost in the huge Debian ecosystem ;)

Cheers
 jonas