Re: Accessibility of Ledger Reports

On 19-06-10 10 h 44, Sam Hartman wrote:

> Hi.
> An issue came up processing a debconf budget amendment.
> Our community uses ledger a lot for dealing with financial issues.
>
> Unfortunately, I find that its reports are not very accessible at least
> by default.
> The issue I'm most running into is that the reports use internal
> indentation within a line.  That is, to draw an account tree ledger
> indents the column containing the account name depending on its level in
> the tree.
>
> Certainly for the screen readers I use, and I think for most of the ones
> in Debian, that's hard to approach.  I found that I can view the file in
> Emacs with whitespace mode enabled, and that's my best bet so far.
>
> i'm also told that there is a --flat option that displays the entire
> account tree.  I suspect that's really annoying for others.
>
> Indentation in the first column of a line is very easy to deal with for
> any screen reader that a Python programmer would use.
>
> I'm hoping we can brainstorm somethinfg that works reasonably well for
> me and for the rest of the community, so I'm bringing up the issue here.

Heya,

So this would be the output of the DebConf19 budget using the --flat option:

        USD 1,291.76  assets:SPI
       USD 75,500.00  expenses:bursaries:bursaries
       USD 10,000.00  expenses:bursaries:diversity
        USD 1,031.41  expenses:graphic materials:banner
          USD 206.28  expenses:graphic materials:paper
          USD 257.85  expenses:graphic materials:poster
        USD 1,000.00  expenses:incidentals
          USD 386.78  expenses:insurance
          USD 335.21  expenses:local team:food
          USD 257.85  expenses:local team:transportation
        USD 1,289.26  expenses:party:cheese and wine
          USD 515.70  expenses:party:conference dinner:bus
          USD 515.70  expenses:party:conference dinner:drink
        USD 9,282.66  expenses:party:conference dinner:food
          USD 800.00  expenses:roomboard:accommodation:access point
       USD 34,191.12  expenses:roomboard:accommodation:bedrooms
          USD 464.13  expenses:roomboard:accommodation:cleaning
          USD 206.28  expenses:roomboard:accommodation:internet link
          USD 128.93  expenses:roomboard:accommodation:vegan food
       USD 10,314.06  expenses:roomboard:food:catering
          USD 128.93  expenses:roomboard:food:coffee and tea
        USD 1,440.87  expenses:swag:backpack
        USD 1,804.96  expenses:swag:drink cup
          USD 536.33  expenses:swag:lanyard
        USD 2,127.28  expenses:swag:t-shirt
        USD 1,408.98  expenses:venue:staff
           USD 79.93  expenses:video:cable hdmi
        USD 1,005.62  expenses:video:fiber
        USD 6,800.00  expenses:video:general
        USD 7,446.75  expenses:video:projector
        USD 4,641.33  expenses:video:sound equipament
          USD -25.79  incomes:donation
      USD -10,000.00  incomes:expected_sponsors:gold
       USD -5,000.00  incomes:expected_sponsors:silver
      USD -20,000.00  incomes:registration
      USD -11,414.88  incomes:sponsors:bronze
      USD -10,000.00  incomes:sponsors:gold
      USD -60,000.00  incomes:sponsors:platinum
      USD -54,024.81  incomes:sponsors:silver
       USD -4,930.50  incomes:sponsors:supporter
--------------------
                   0

Is that more accessible? From what I understand from your email, the
beginning indentation isn't a problem. If it is, we can script something
to get rid of it too.

I personally feel like the --flat output is harder to grok, but I've
also been using ledger for a while. I know several people who had
trouble understanding the "non --flat" output too, so I'm not sure it's
actually worse.

--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Louis-Philippe Véronneau