Re: Realizing Good Ideas with Debian Money

On Sat, Jun 01, 2019 at 09:09:26AM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:

>     >>
>     >> Talking about the issues involved in paying people to do work.
>     >> What the options are, collecting people's concerns etc.
>     >>
>     >> I actually think the first round of that can be done without
>     >> significant access to numbers.
>     >>
>     >> That said, I'd sure like that anual report (actually I'd love it
>     >> quarterly) you speak of above.  I'm not volunteering.  Are you?
>
>     Adrian> My biggest high level concern is the income side, since this
>     Adrian> is the most difficult part and will likely also be the most
>     Adrian> controversial one.
>

> Ah, I was actually asking if you wanted to volunteer to work on the
> reports since you seemed to value them.  I was only one quarter serious:
> if you did want to do that work, I'd be thrilled, but I didn't really
> expect it.

Ah, seems I misunderstood that.

Yes, I could work on the reports if you tell me how to get access
to the data from the trusted organizations.

>From SPI I get the reports, but for the other I have no clue.

> I think it's actually impossible for a non-profit to reduce income from
> expenses.
>
> It's a lot easier to do fund raising when you can explain why you want
> the money.
> I think it's no accident that when people learned our sysadmin team no
> longer had hardware donors and  was considering how expensive continuing
> their current strategy was, we got two very large donations, one of them
> intended to make that possible.
>
> Yeah, unless you want debt (which we almost certainly do not), income
> needs to lead expenses.
> But when people see you spending their money for purposes they believe
> in, it's easier for them to give you more.  When they understand your
> needs they give more.

This works well for one-time investments,
but less so for ongoing expenses like salaries.

It reminds me of NGOs that get drowned in more money than they can spend
earmarked for a catastrophe that is in the news, but struggle to get
enough money for running their headquarter.

> --Sam

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.