Re: Realizing Good Ideas with Debian Money

Russ Allbery:
> Adrian Bunk <bunk@debian.org> writes:
>
>> My biggest high level concern is the income side, since this is the most
>> difficult part and will likely also be the most controversial one.
>
> I could well be entirely wrong, but the part that I would expect to be the
> most controversial is that, once Debian starts spending project money to
> pay people to do work that other people in the project are doing for free,
> the project is doing a form of picking winners and losers.  We're deciding
> as a project that some people's work is valuable enough to pay for and (by
> omission if nothing else) other people's work is not, and for all the good
> intentions that we have going in, there are so many ways for this to go
> poorly.

A lot of people are already paid full-time to work on Debian. Wouldn't it be better to additionally have some other people be paid full-time to work on Debian under a democratic mandate (our voting system) rather than under corporate orders? At the very least, it would be a good social experiment to gain insight from - something like that hasn't not been done much in the world before.

GPG: ed25519/56034877E1F87C35
GPG: rsa4096/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
https://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git