Re: What is the problem with eth0

On Sat, Feb 09, 2019 at 06:38:49PM +0100, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 09, 2019 at 06:06:31PM +0100, Ingo von Laer wrote:
> > Dear Sirs and Ladies,
> > with the implementation of the NetworkManager the little Problems began.
> > WFT, "Wired Connection 1" tree blanks an config-file in the etc.
> > The biggest Problem are the fancy new names for the Ethernet.  What is the
> > problem with eth0?

Quoting https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/
}
} Why?
}
} The classic naming scheme for network interfaces applied by the kernel
} is to simply assign names beginning with "eth0", "eth1", ... to all
} interfaces as they are probed by the drivers. As the driver probing
} is generally not predictable for modern technology this means that
} as soon as multiple network interfaces are available the assignment
} of the names "eth0", "eth1" and so on is generally not fixed anymore
} and it might very well happen that "eth0" on one boot ends up being
} "eth1" on the next. This can have serious security implications, for
} example in firewall rules which are coded for certain naming schemes,
} and which are hence very sensitive to unpredictable changing names.
}
} To fix this problem multiple solutions have been proposed and
} implemented. For a longer time ...

The whole article is a good read.

> > All server tools like isc-dhcp-server or FAI are using
> > eth0.  If you must use the fancy names for the eth0 then implement it so
> > that other packages can use them too, or simpler leave the name eth0.
>
> You want predictable interface names, then.

We all want predictable interface names.

> To switch them to predictable, append "net.ifnames=0" to kernel's cmdline;
> the argument will then be parsed by udev (the on-filesystem way to do so
> changes quite often).  Easiest way to change the cmdline is
> "dpkg-reconfigure grub-*" where * can be "pc" or "efi" depending on how your
> machine boots.

At the URL from above are two other options. IMHO better options.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Leven en laten leven