Re: Appeal procedure for DAM actions

While we're throwing around random wikipedia pages, I'd like to submit
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealioning

With respect, I don't think Daniel's comments are a constructive
addition to the discussion.  Whether or not daniel was treated
reasonably, I think that he's reached a level of
bitterness/upset/disappointment that is not going to lead to
constructive discussion.  I think that Daniel's post would take a long
time to respond to for a lot of us who have recently spent a lot of
energy trying to work through some really hard issues.

For myself, I'm not going to respond in substance, and I don't want
silence to be taken as agreement.

Here's why I don't think the post is constructive.  There are a lot of
reasons why you'd want to have rapid action for handling situations
other than questions of technical competence.  There are significant
cases where maintaining the safety of the community requires rapid
action.  There's a lot of thought put into antiharassment efforts that
argues for fairly rapid resolution of issues rather than the long
drawn-out processes that Daniel supports.

You can be constructive and disagree with all that.  There are really
big questions of fairness and no good answers.  However, constructively
participating in a discussion involves learning enough of the history
and enough of the positions (especially those of people you disagree
with) that you can  treat those positions with respect.  You should be
able to respond to their points and demonstrate empathy for the needs of
others in the conversation.

Daniel didn't do that, so I don't think he's being constructive here.
Wheter it is actually sealioning or simply ignorance of other positions,
the result is the same: he asks us to be drawn into a huge, painful,
drawn-out discussion where we take on the duty of educating him and any
trolls that are attracted by his impassioned language.  I personally
choose not to take on that burden here.

That said, Daniel brought up one point I would like to discuss with
anyone who would be interested in bringing about changes.  He points out
that we have events where we have face-to-face time and we could use
them more effectively for working through disputes.  I'm not interested
in debating with Daniel about whether the process should require that.
I am very eager to discuss how we can do more of that empathy building
and dispute resolution at events.

--Sam