Re: Naming A New Build

On Fri, 26 Jan 2018, nem live <nemofbaltimore@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 6th we lost a very intelligent, and debian driven soul.
> My best friend Travis, who made me use debian passed away.
> Everything I know about Linux is because of him.

Please accept my condolences.

> Is it possible to get a future build/distro named after him?

Note that I am not a Release Manager, and so am not involved in the
selection of release names.  It just struck me that your question
deserved an answer, so I'll try to give you one.

As you may know, our scheme for naming releases (since we started using
codenames) has been to use characters from the Toy Story films.

To date we've not varied from that, despite there having been several
prominent Debian contributors who have died over the years. We have
dedicated some of our releases to some of those, but in a project this
large we would often have several candidates for each release, as you
might be able to judge from this partial list:

  https://joeyh.name/hacker_tombstone/

This means that it would be rather awkward to go down the road of naming
releases in memoriam. It might raise questions of which of several
candidates should receive the honour, which is likely to leave some
people who are already having to deal with the loss of someone they love
feeling rather less happy than if we'd never started on such a course.

I hope that you find a way to commemorate Travis adequately, but I'm
sorry to say that I suspect that it will have to be something other than
having a Debian release named after him.

Yours sincerely, Philip Hands.