Naming of teams on salsa.debian.org

!! Please keep me on CC, I am not subscribed to this list.

(Content effectively duplicated at https://salsa.debian.org/salsa/support/issues/30)

Alexander Wirt:
> Hi,
>
> Since summer we have worked on our git.debian.org replacement based
> on GitLab. I am really happy to say that we are launching the beta of our service
> today. [..]
>
> Teams
> -----
>
> For larger projects you can also create a group to host your projects.
> To avoid clashes with usernames (that share the same namespace as groups) we are requiring
> groups to have a '-team' suffix to their name.
> Groups can be created using the same self-service portal https://signup.salsa.debian.org.
> For larger, already-established teams it is also possible to ask us to create the group with a
> name not conforming to the normal team namespace. Examples are teams like *debian-qa*.
> Please create an issue in the support[1] project.

The current team names are a bit of a mess [1], and forcing everyone to use a suffix "-team" isn't helping because everyone is picking inconsistent prefixes instead.

Glancing through the current list of public groups, I suggest the following prefixes:

It's better to standardise on a set of prefixes and ditch the suffix completely. Prefixes will look better and be easier to navigate, when lists of group names are sorted.

debian-* - for Debian infrastructure and admin stuff
pkg-* - for group maintenance of related packages
l10n-* - for localisation efforts

If nobody disagrees, I'll be happy to implement the following:

<formorer> and as said, I would accept patches for the signup service that implements a drop down box that allow selection of predefined namespaces.

and then hopefully the salsa admins will perform the mass-renaming as I suggested on the ticket.

Further comments / suggestions welcome.

Ximin

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/explore/groups

--