Re: Emeritus status, and email forwarding

]] Ian Jackson

> I think that, with some safeguards[1], this would be a good thing to
> offer people.  If nothing else people have often used @d.o addresses
> in Debian work, where the addresses live on after they move on, and we
> should definitely encourage even an emeritus member to be reachable
> for answering questions or whatever, as their time and interest
> permits.

I don't think we should do that.  Once they've left the project, they
don't and shouldn't have the ability to answer for Debian in any way.

> Unfortunately it would mean that such people would still need some
> kind of login on Debian systems, so that they could update the email
> forwarding.  But it wouldn't have to have the wide powers of an active
> DD/DM account.
>
> What do people think ?  How hard would this be ?

It would make our already too complex setups even more complex, but
that's not the reason why I think it's a bad idea.

> The emeritus member should refrain from advertising the @debian.org
> email address, so outgoing emails, web pages, etc., should be updated
> to show a different address.  Obviously the point of retaining the old
> address is to avoid having to deal with a massive array of existing
> places where the address is published, but there should be no active
> uses, and any particular instances should be changed on requests by
> Debian.  The forwarding would have to be withdrawn if the emeritus
> member continued to advertise their @d.o address, or if they did
> something sufficiently bad that we would want to disassociate
> ourselves from them more completely.

I don't think we're in a position where we would be able to effectively
police this, and so I don't think we should try either.

Cheers,
--
Tollef Fog Heen