Re: Project to improve Debian support model

nobody was comparing Debian to closed source I was merely pointing at an example of the kind of frontend in the OS that I want to develop itc would still connect to all our existing sources. see the project website and wiki for a proposed idea of the sorts of things we want to create. http://kathryntolsen.github.io/diss/ the project has moved to gitlab but I don't have the new URL memorized yet the github links there.

On Oct 23, 2017 2:17 AM, "Marc Haber" <mh+debian-project@zugschlus.de> wrote:
On Sun, Oct 22, 2017 at 04:40:18PM -0400, Katy Tolsen wrote:
> Well that's interesting, but in all honesty, not to me. I have absolutely
> no interest what-so-ever in accessing users computers as a means of doing
> volunteer support. This system I am proposing is all about integrating
> Debian's support resources and providing users with a sort of Help and
> Support Center type frontend in Debian much like Microsoft has put in
> Windows since XP, where they can easily access support options at a glance.

I would like to point out that we cannot be compared to a commercial,
closed-source entity since most of the channels that are mis-taken by
our users as support channels (such as the -project and -devel mailing
lists) would be inaccessible to the public at Microsoft.

In Debian, those channels are open, which I see as a feature, even if
that means having to redirect the occasional mis-led user to the real
support channels.

Greetings
Marc

Marc Haber         | "I don't trust Computers. They | Mailadresse im Header
Leimen, Germany    |  lose things."    Winona Ryder | Fon: *49 6224 1600402
Nordisch by Nature |  How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 6224 1600421