Re: Reasons for having DPL election terms 1 year

at bottom :-

On 30/08/2017, shirish शिरीष <shirishag75@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Please CC me if somebody puts a reply .
>
> I had put up the query on debian-devel but was informed that probably
> debian-project would be much better place to have discussions like
> thees.
>
> I did try various terms like 'why is Debian Project leader choosen
> yearly' and similar queries on search terms and came up empty or
> rather came up with answers that didn't the query.
>
> My query how did the idea of having yearly elections for choosing DPL
> come in place. Now while sadly Ian Murdock is not there but am sure
> there are more than enough people who know and remember why Ian
> Murdock felt the need to have yearly elections instead of a
> 2-5 year term.
>
> Was it because of Bruce Perens as shared in
> https://debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/sect.foundation-documents.html
> or something else ?
>
> <quote=debian handbook> COMMUNITY Bruce Perens, a controversial leader
> Bruce Perens was the second leader of the Debian project, just after
> Ian Murdock. He was very controversial in his dynamic and
> authoritarian methods. He nevertheless remains an important
> contributor to Debian, to whom Debian is especially indebted for the
> editing of the famous “Debian Free Software Guidelines” (DFSG), an
> original idea of Ean Schuessler. Subsequently, Bruce would derive from
> it the famous “Open Source Definition”, removing all references to
> Debian from it.
>
> → http://www.opensource.org/
> His departure from the project was quite emotional, but Bruce has
> remained strongly attached to Debian, since he continues to promote
> this distribution in political and economic spheres. He still
> sporadically appears on the e-mail lists to give his advice and
> present his latest initiatives in favor of Debian. </quote>
>
> If somebody knows, would be interested to know the details.

Forgot to share, I did see it enshrined in the Debian constitution 1.0
in 1997 https://www.debian.org/devel/constitution.1.0

8. The Project Leader serves for one year from their election.

but no links or any idea where to find what lead to that idea/process
in the first place and why it was thought to be so important. I am
sure the times and the needs might have been different. I ask as
historically it seems a bit erratic as some DPL's have or needed to
have more than one term to do the changes they required for the
project.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Debian_project_leaders#Comparison

--
          Regards,