Re: wanted: educate us please on key dongles

On Wed, 2017-08-30 at 12:50 +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> That's a point, but I cannot validate whether the free hardware
> design running the free software crypto app isn't backdoored anyway due
> to lack of knowledge and expertise.

Some large fraction of the world could/would make the same argument
about Open Source software too, since they have little to no
programming skills or knowledge.

Apart from the good (better than I'm about to make IMHO) points Ian J
made it is also the case that if you have the hw design (or source
code) then you have the _opportunity_ to acquire the
knowledge/expertise the interpret/check/extend/fix/break them if you
want, either by unlocking those achievements yourself or (if you have
the means to trade money in lieu of your time learning something you
may not be inherently interested in) by employing someone who already
has them (or multiple independent someones if you are both a bit
paranoid and rather flush with cash...). You don't get that opportunity
with closed hardware (or software).

Ian.