Linux Mint Operating System V.S Other Operating Systems

My name is Ryan Walsh and I am a gifted student from Saint Charles MO. I am researching why Linux Mint is more popular than other operating systems. I am really enjoying researching this topic and I have some questions about Debian for research:

1. What was Debian mainly built towards accomplishing on servers?

2. What about Debian separates it from other operating systems like Ubuntu, Mint,  or Red Hat?

3. What inspired Debian (a.k.a why did you create Debian instead of just using another operating system?)

4. Why is Debian only on version 9 while Mint is on version 18?

Thank you for your time!