Re: contacting Debian is too easy to get wrong

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 3:36 PM, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:

> Yes. This would be great. An online form, that anyone could use to ask a
> question would be nice.

We already have places to ask questions but people don't know how to
find the right one. The service or web page I proposed would only be
about finding the right place to ask.

> Much nicer would be if the user could use this form to ask question about
> specifics. For example, Tracker could have a new field, "Ask a question".

I'd rather they use existing services for asking questions, we have a
lot already and adding more will just dilute the available resources.

> For generic questions, assign question to "PR Team".

Not sure what you mean by PR but if you mean the publicity team, they
definitely wouldn't be the place to direct generic questions.

> For specific (package) questions, assign to Individuals/Teams just like bug
> reports.

These should go to one of our support channels, package maintainers
are for maintaining software/packages rather than answering questions.

https://www.debian.org/support

> Essentially, a Question Tracking System, similar to BTS. Launchpad has a nice
> "Ask Questions" feature.

We already have ask.debian.net for that.

> I don't have much web skills but I'd volunteer to be part of that team and help
> in whatever way feasible.

Great!

--
bye,