Re: Let's make Debian DPLess!?

On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 03:46:41PM +0100, Guillem Jover wrote:
> From the current list of powers in the consitution §5.1.1—§5.1.5 are
> IMO the strongest powers, and they are either very very seldomly used
> or when used they are pretty much a rubber stamp. Whenever a DPL has
> tried to be more proactive the project has been mired in controversy.

I disagree on this. It's true we rarely have trouble with regards to,
say, delegations, but it's taken a whole lot of effort to get here. In
my opinion, it's a good thing to have someone whose responsibility it
is to sort things out in case we ever do have have trouble again. Thus
I think it'd be a mistake to get rid of the position we have with that
responsibility.

> Every and each year we have these pharaonic platforms where the
> candidates present all those grandiose pyramid plans. Those never happen.
> But I guess it's more interesting than writting a platform that states:
>
>   * Will rubber-stamp delegations.
>   * Will be an ambassador for the project.
>   * Will be a minister of finances for minutia.

If grandiose platforms are a problem, by all means fix that. As it
happens, I think I agree (assuming I understand what you mean). Which
is why I wrote a "not platform" along non-grandiose lines some time
ago.

--
I want to build worthwhile things that might last. --joeyh