Re: Automatic downloading of non-free software by stuff in main

On Thu, 2017-11-30 at 13:52 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> (The question is: how do we stop a Postscript file received by email
> being rendered automatically when the user clicks on it, while
> allowing the user to still open a Postscript file they generated
> themselves ?)

I wanted to highlight that this would be a very useful feature even
beyond the proposed use case of helping handle download non-free
software.

I would love for files downloaded via a web browser or email client to
be marked as having come from the Internet. (Major bonus points if a
sync tool like nextcloud can keep files I generated labeled separate
from ones my coworkers made)

OS X web browsers do this, and when you try to open them the OS will
prompt "this came from the internet, do you want to open it". It looks
like its implemented with a few extended attributes. [1]

Do most of our file systems have extended attributes turned on by now?

Has anyone tried to implement this yet? It seems like a small library
in the freedesktop.org umbrella, and a fair amount of trying to
convince other projects to adopt it.

Diane

[1] https://www.quora.com/How-does-OS-X-mark-files-as-downloaded-from-t
he-Internet