Re: Let's Stop Getting Torn Apart by Disagreement: Concerns about the Technical Committee

Hi,

I only just subscribed and only have read some of the discussion so
this may be a bit off topic or already discussed.

But I was wondering if the project has thought about explicitly
encouraging mentoring in techniques for handling interpersonal conflict
and helping members develop interpersonal skills?

I know there's active research into managing team conflict, and I bet
there are some Debian members who have been more effective at helping
other team members that we might be able to learn from.

I know we have methods to share technical skills via policies and best
practices, but how do we identify and share useful social techniques?

For instance I think active listening is a useful technique when trying
to develop a consensus about a topic.

(e.g. http://ggia.berkeley.edu/practice/active_listening#data-tab-how )

But I don't know how many others know about it and there would need to
be some adjustment for a distributed team like Debian.

Diane