Re: Debian slogan / tag line / emphasizing freedom

Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.pro> writes:

> Debian has been using the slogan / tag line "The Universal Operating
> System" for as long as I can remember.

> It is a good choice and it represents the aims of many contributors, but
> is it the optimal choice today?

> For example, has there ever been discussion about replacing it with a
> slogan that puts an emphasis on freedom, another value that is important
> to many contributors?

That's always spoken to freedom to me, since something that isn't free
can't be universal.  By definition, access to it is restricted in some way
to some blessed set of people, either by money or by some other legal
arrangement, which is the opposite of universal.