Re: Replace the TC power to depose maintainers

]] Philip Hands

> Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> writes:
>
> > ]] Ian Jackson
> >
> >> That is 6+ weeks' more stop-energy.  6+ weeks' more inaction.  6+
> >> weeks during which members of the TC have been prevaricating.
> >
> > What are you accusing the TC of lying about?
>
> I think that British English has drifted into using that as a synonym
> for procrastinate while American English seems to have stuck to its
> earlier meaning (judging by the online dictionary entries I see).

That doesn't match the reading of the Cambridge dictionary:
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/prevaricate

  prevaricate
  verb [ I ] UK ​ /prɪˈvær.ɪ.keɪt/ US ​ /prɪˈver.ə.keɪt/ formal
​
  to avoid telling the truth or saying exactly what you think:

Or the Oxford dictionary,
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/prevaricate:

  prevaricate
  VERB

  [NO OBJECT]
  Speak or act in an evasive way:

> I certainly didn't (and still wouldn't) assume that Ian was accusing
> anyone of lying here.

Given his later apology, I'd assume so as well, but as a native speaker
of English, Ian should really know better than using the term in the
first place.

--
Tollef Fog Heen