Re: Replace the TC power to depose maintainers

On Fri, Dec 02, 2016 at 01:32:40PM +0100, Johannes Schauer wrote:
> Quoting Ian Jackson (2016-12-02 12:43:52)
> > Otherwise it really will be chaos, with people uploading contra-reverts of
> > each others' reverts.
>
> Personally, I doubt that this would happen. In a world without maintainership,
> I'd expect anybody doing an upload to do it with the best interest of the
> distribution as a whole at heart. If the content of the upload goes against
> what other people had in mind, then I'd expect them to discuss and find a
> solution. I would not expect the result to be multiple counter-reverting
> uploads from the involved parties. That'd just be rude.

So, let's make an experiment: declare the piece of d-i that decides what
init system to install free-for-all to change.  Assuming everyone does so
only with a honest belief it's for the good of the distribution and users.

Or, let's take a look at some projects that allow everyone to make a change.
Like, Wikipedia.  Let's disregard trolls and vandals, and look only at
editors who seem to truly believe what edits are for the better.  Multiple
counter-reverting is a rule rather than an exception.

Or, a personal account: I used to be deeply involved in Crawl's upstream:
just a game but I've put way too much effort there.  It has a decent-sized
active devteam, 10+ commits per day -- yet most months around 40% were mine.
All devs with push rights are equal (there's also a number of contributors
who send patches to official devs).  Enter a dev who only quite recently got
push access.  One day, he merged a pile of commits that added a bunch of
features with quite poor design and abysmal code quality, without putting
that into a branch first or discussing on usual dev channels (he merely
mentioned it on an equivalent of debian-user which few devs read).  That
merge also deleted and superseded a large project I had actively worked on
at the time.  What could I do?  My options were to put my weight and
mass-revert the whole push (with big save compat issues, especially as
another unrelated (proper) big merge also happened hours later), or avoid
the conflict by quitting.  I did the latter.  But, quitting coding a game
that you can do without is a lot easier than quitting something you use
extensively.

Thus, sorry, but a cooperative free-for-all project with everyone being
equal just doesn't work past a minimal scale.  You need either a separation
of rights or some sort of management.

Meow!
--
The bill declaring Jesus as the King of Poland fails to specify whether
the addition is at the top or end of the list of kings.  What should the