Re: Publicly-readable list for only DDs and DMs to post to

Hi, all,

I'm sorry for jumping into this so late; just catching up on the email
backlog.

على الإثنين 18 تـمـوز 2016 ‫14:31، كتب Russ Allbery:
> I believe threads stay in -private long past the point of requiring
> privacy, not because people are particularly enamored of the audience or
> posting restrictions there, but because discussion threads almost never
> move.  People always tried to move threads in Usenet as well, and I'd say
> it works about 5% of the time.  People almost always just keep replying in
> whatever forum they saw the original in.
>
> This isn't a problem specific to Debian.  I see this all the time at work
> too.  The only thing that can sort of help is if *everyone* in the
> discussion is using something like Gmail that doesn't do proper threading
> and instead shows every discussion as a linear discussion, and everyone
> does reply-to-all to the last message of the discussion, at which point
> you can mess with the recipients and sometimes it will stick.  But with
> any diversity of mail clients or proper threading, this goes away.
>
> And the threads start in -private due, usually, to legitimate privacy
> issues.  I've rarely seen threads *start* in -private for no apparent
> reason.  Rather, thread drift happens (which is pretty much a constant),
> and the thread never moves (which is pretty much a constant).
>
> I'm extremely sympathetic to the problem you're trying to solve, but I
> think it's a fairly fundamental UI issue in how email works, and I'm
> dubious that creating another list will help much.

I personally think that our BTS has enormous potential simply as a
mailing list manager, and can even potentially solve this problem.
Because threads ("bugs") can be easily reassigned to different mailing
lists ("packages"), people who casually reply to a topic won't
accidentally send it to the original mailing list. Many of the other BTS
features would be useful to have in a mailing list as well, like
clone/merge/archive, so I think all the fundamentals are there.

regards
Afif

--
Afif Elghraoui | عفيف الغراوي