Re: Debian slogan / tag line / emphasizing freedom

Le Tue, Jun 07, 2016 at 11:20:53AM +0200, Daniel Pocock a écrit :

> Debian has been using the slogan / tag line "The Universal Operating
> System" for as long as I can remember.
>
> It is a good choice and it represents the aims of many contributors, but
> is it the optimal choice today?
>
> For example, has there ever been discussion about replacing it with a
> slogan that puts an emphasis on freedom, another value that is important
> to many contributors?
>
> E.g. "Powering your freedom", "Enabling your freedom", "The free
> platform", "The universal free OS", etc

Hi Daniel,

good point, in my opinion.

"Universal" has been quite efficient in fuelling disagreement on what it means,
on the same level as other keywords such as "choice", etc.

On the other hand, by definition we stand united on what Free means for our project.

So on my side I would welcome putting "freedom" somewhere under the Debian logo.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan