Re: third-party packages adding apt sources

On Sat, May 21, 2016 at 8:32 PM, Adam Borowski wrote:

> This looks wrong to me: a vast majority of machines these days have a single
> user, thus pwning root gives you little additional gain.

Getting further into a system (user -> root -> GRUB -> MBR -> boot
firmware -> peripheral firmware) gives a successful attack much more
persistence. This is why the TLAs go as deep as they can.

> So, for running untrusted code you should execute it solely in a special
> environment of some kind.  And if you're not executing those binaries
> directly, what's the point in putting them into the standard paths?

No idea what anarcat's thoughts were but I can think of two reasons:

Prevents those binaries from being modified by the binaries themselves
or other programs run by the user.

Makes integration with the rest of the system easier.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise