Re: third-party packages adding apt sources

On Samstag, 21. Mai 2016 10:24:06 CEST Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> Et cetera. Debian has one set of quality factors it particularly cares
> about, and some upstreams think differently.

Yes, I seen all those reasons you mentioned.

I just wonder how about if upstreams can learn easily how to work together
with Debian developers and maintainers which basically would mean offloading
some of the work involved?

Still, the turn around time between upstream and debian release would be quite
high for Debian stable users, but maybe part of such a collaboration could be
to also provide newer releases via backports. Also… if upstream wants to
release the built packages even quicker to testers or adventurous people, why
not allow them to put newer versions of the official packages into their own
repo while still integrating them with the official repo? For Owncloud for
example this could lead at least to *compatible* packaging. Right now
switching between Debian packages and upstream packages basically destroys a
working Owncloud installation and requires quite some manual interaction to
get things working again. But with compatible packages people could easily
switch between "I use stable packages", "I use backport packages" and "I don´t
care I want the latest I add the upstream repo".

I wonder about some kind of adopt an upstream within a Debian team kind of
approach. A landing page and mailing list where upstream can write in for
getting help and advice and voicing their needs. And when there are people in
Debian willing to work with upstream they can build a team.

May still not be suitable for some upstreams or some upstreams not be suitable
for Debian, but I got the impression that Debian may be seen as elitist and
basically unapproachable by some upstreams – and that in quite some cases like
with the Owncloud packaging a different approach would be possible. (Actually
that is what I thought for a long time as well, until I found sponsors for
some package I wanted in the archive and well, until Debconf 2015 in
Heidelberg.)

I do think spelling out an invitation to work together officially can help to
attract more upstreams to work closer with Debian.

--
Martin