Re: third-party packages adding apt sources

Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.pro> writes:

> b) many upstreams appear frustrated about getting their package
> officially supported in Debian.  Sometimes there is good reason their
> package doesn't belong in Debian but sometimes it is more about inertia
> in Debian or the upstream isn't aware about backports and thinks their
> package will be stuck at a particular version forever

One of the big reasons why organizations do this is because they provide
packages for stable users and want control over exactly when they ship new
packages to those users without meeting the standards for stable update
review (which are very strict).  Consider Google Chrome's packages, for
example, which are one set that use this method.

I don't think we can provide that inside Debian, at least without some
pretty significant changes to how we handle stable releases that are
contrary to some of our goals for stable.