Re: NCR unix system v/386 release 4 recover root password

"Andrew M.A. Cater" <amacater@galactic.demon.co.uk> writes:

> On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 04:26:42PM +0300, Mohammed El-Saadani wrote:
>> Dear All
>> we have NCR 3455 system from long time as attached all information for
>> server (images)  ,
>> so  we need your help to assist us to get root password which lost it ,
>> really we appreciate your efforts  if you can send us the procedure for
>> resting the administrator (root) password
>> which this server handle data base application writing in COBOL language
>>
>> Actually i try to mount the HD to Centos 5.6 but it cant recognize the UNIX
>> file system type  (GNU HURD or SysV) , so I cant reach to *passwd* file to
>> edit it to reset password . for that reason i send you this e-mail and i
>> hope if you can gently guide me with simple procedure  how i can mount the
>> file system (GNU HURD or SysV) on Linux system or which OS UNIX / Linux
>> even Live CD could help me to recognize this type of file system really I
>> need solve this issue because need to add network printer to this server
>> but  I don't have privilege  for that till get root password .
>>

>> *Note:*
>> *we have SCSI to USB converter which we can connect the HD extrnaly to my
>> laptop *
>>
>> P?riph?rique Amorce      D?but      Fin      Blocks      Id     Syst?me
>> /dev/hdb4    *                1             523    4194157+ 63    *GNU HURD
>> or SysV*
>>
>> your fast response and concerns highly appreciated
>>
>> [image: Displaying]
>>

>> Best regards,
>> M.Saad
>
> mount -t sysv /dev/hdb4 /mnt
>
> for example.
>
> sysv appears not to have any special options.
>

> man mount
>
> may help. Note thre is absolutely no guarantee of anything at all
> working :(

If that does not work for whatever reason, you could just point a hex
editor at the device[1], search for "root:" until you find the passwd or
shadow file, and change the line for root to not have a password.

Of course, that is likely to leave you with spare characters on that
line, which can be dealt with by inserting a newline, and a bogus user
to eat the spare data.

So:

  r o o t : r b 9 t i 8 R U M y g l I : 0 : 9 9 9 9 9 : 0 : : :\n b i n ...

becomes something like

  r o o t : : 0 : 9 9 9 9 9 : 0 : : :\n w x y z : * : : : : : :\n b i n ...

HTH

If that all sounds too confusing, you just need to find someone to whom
it makes sense, and get them to do it for you.  Not understanding what
you are trying to do will most probably result in permanent data loss.

Cheers, Phil.

[1]  e.g. tweak -- https://packages.debian.org/squeeze/tweak