Re: What do you expect from the DPL?

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 11:08:44AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 4:57 AM, Ana Guerrero Lopez wrote:
>
> > Lucas sent an email asking people to encourage their 'dream DPL' [1].
> > I have already encouraged a few people in the last weeks, but when discussing
> > with them, they all tell me very different things about the DPL role. When
> > I asked: "What are you expecting the DPL to do?", I got a bunch of different
> > replies:
>
> The DPL role is defined in the constitution.
>
> https://www.debian.org/devel/constitution#item-5

While it is true that the role is more or less defined by the constitution by
listing its "Powers", the role has evolved de-facto into something else, but
it is not clear nor universally agreed on.

> I wonder if the replies you got are coloured by what past DPLs have
> ended up doing as a result of deficiencies in what Debian as a whole
> was capable of doing at the time. "Someone" had to do it and no-one
> else was doing it so the DPL got to do it.

Not only because what the DPL ended up doing, also take a look at
past DPL platforms and read what prospective candidates were expecting to do.

[...]

> > This is, globally, people are expecting the DPL to do all of the above and maybe
> > more. I think it's clear this is NOT humanly possible. What are the alternatives?
> > Should we redefine the role of the DPL? Should we maybe split the role of the
> > DPL in a few elected roles? Should we discuss (again) the possibility of
> > replacing the DPL for a board? Sometimes I have felt like the DPL election was
> > a popularity contest, and that's probably not what it should be.
>
> I think the DPL role has expanded beyond what was it initially defined
> as, due to various factors. Probably we just need to re-focus on the
> initial definition and create new teams for the things that the DPL
> has expanded to in the past.

Exactly, things have changed through the years, you think the DPL role should
re-focus on what it was initially. Others like me, think the role wasn't very
clear to start with, other might argue the role needs to be redefined to
something new or switching to something completely different.

In a few weeks, we'll be again in campaign period, people will start making
questions to the candidates about things some candidates feel have nothing
to do with becoming DPL, and we'll start having again the same discussion
about what the DPL do or should do.

Ana