Re: What do you expect from the DPL?

On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 02:41:18PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
>On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 10:07:08AM +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
>> My own view on the original question ("What are you expected the DPL to
>> do?") is that the main thing the DPL must absolutely do is being a good
>> "garbage collector" (I think the original naming comes from Zack).
>
>Possibly. I think I actually used "decision garbage collector", but the
>notion is exactly the one you explained.
>
>FWIW, that aspect of the DPL "job" seems to be frequently overlooked in
>DPL candidate platforms, which often tend to focus on ambitious Debian
>reform plans. They are all fine and well of course, but DPL time will in
>the end have to be split among implementing those plans and tending to
>often unpredictable day by day duties, with the latter often dominating
>the DPL agenda (IME).

Yeah, that was my experience too. I'd offer as advice to any DPL
candidate: don't try to do everything at once, as that leads to
burnout. I think personally that I did spend too much effort up-front
on the teams survey in my first term, and that ate a massive number of
hours.

What takes time day in, day out, is the misc mediation and discussion
that people will expect you to help out with, and random folks will
contact you from time to time to ask for help with all kinds of
stuff. The more difficult part of this is that it'll often be
happening in hours that don't suit at all - people pop on irc at the
worst times... :-)

The two hard things in computing:
 * naming things
 * cache invalidation
 * off-by-one errors                  -- Stig Sandbeck Mathisen