Re: Why are in-person meetings required for the debian keyring?

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 09:19:29AM +1000, Russell Stuart wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-02-12 at 10:57 -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > I'm surprised no one else has brought up this point yet: part of the reason
> > for using cryptographic PKI (web of trust; SSL CAs; etc) is to eliminate
> > man-in-the-middle attacks.

> Ah, but you see that is one of the beauties of proof of work.  It is
> almost immune to MITM attacks.

No, your so-called "proof of work" provides no protection at all against the
MITM attack I outlined.

> You are saying a personal meeting enhances security, so lets perform a
> thought experiment.  Lets remove the existing parts of system that are
> proof of work, and instead rely exclusively on the WoT.  To do that we
> will no longer insist people sign their application email.  Instead once
> they are accepted the Debian keyring maintainers pull the key associated
> with the email address off the key servers, and verify it is signed by two
> DD's - ie just use the WoT to authenticate the GPG key.

This is a nonsensical strawman that proves nothing about whether ID checks
improve the security of Debian's web of trust.  Understanding why it's
nonsensical is left as an exercise for the reader.