Re: Why are in-person meetings required for the debian keyring?

Sam Hartman wrote:
> However, I also thing it's desirable that we have some probability of
> being able to engage a legal process if we needed to.  [...]
> That's something we should not stand for, and being able to respond to
> that sort of thing in the legal system does have to do with a binding to
> a particular legal identity. [...]

The legal system in England is often willing to address people by any
name that they are commonly known by, besides the name on
government-issued identity papers.  Meanwhile, some parts of government
also accepts common names, but others will only accept registered names
and that's a bit of a mess.

Unless someone is recording the full information on the
government-issued identity papers (at least date and place of birth, but
maybe passport number, none of which is on most GPG keys), then it is
not an unambiguous binding and this reason doesn't seem very strong.

I've more sympathy with the example Phil Hands gave of stopping expelled
people sneaking back in under assumed names, but while it's difficult to
get government-issued ID in two names, it's not impossible, so maybe we
need a rogues gallery or similar for that?

Regards,
--
MJR/slef