Re: Mentoring of the Month for woman

[Answering to the list only as per list policy since you are probably
 reading it - otherwise you did not had this information; debian-woman
 in CC]

Dear Malihe,

at first I'd like to say that I'm very happy about your positive
response since it sounds promising that my initial mail had some
positive effect.

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 02:12:39AM +0330, Malihe Asemani wrote:
> I am so glad to have received your email, and I'm proud to be a member of
> such a folk with the people who concerns about the others.

Beeing a Debian Developer since 1998 I can assure you that I did not
only found a lot of highly skilled technicans but also a lot of very
good friends all over the world.  While I did not expected this when I
started I think this is one of the greatest side effects in the Debian
community.  This friendship culminates in the yearly Debian conferences.
If you have watched the video of one of the talks I gave[3] you might
get some feeling that you are amongst a folk of equals which is really
nice.

> I wanna inform you that I strongly like to do something as a Debian member.
> I'm a developer who has been working on Operating System and Virtualization
> based on Debian in Xamin Project, since 3 years ago. Also currently I am
> working on Infrastructure As A Service (especially Openstack). I have some
> information about Debian Packaging but I know they are not enough. I can
> develop in Python, shell scripts, C++, C, and a little Java.

Sounds like a pretty nice knowledge base and learning packaging on top
of this would be probably quite an easy task.

> I really appreciate if you would help me to be a Debian member who has a
> small role in Debian Developing. By the way, I really like to work on
> adding OpenShift project to the Debian repo (this project is not in Debian
> Repo, as far as I know).

Hmmm, checking since I personally have no idea about OpenShift:

$ apt-cache search OpenShift
rhc - OpenShift command-line client tools

So at least we have one hit that seems to be related but I guess there
is more to do and the software seems to have relevance for a larger
user group.

> Furthermore working on Kernel, DI, Openstack, and
> embedded Debian is involved in my interests as well, although probably I am
> still a novice in these fields.

Beeing a novice is no reason not to try diving into it.  Finally all of
us were novices when we started.

> So, if you suggest a special package to start working on, I indeed would
> appreciate that. Actually I like to do something for medicine too. So
> please don't hesitate to suggest any package as the first package.

I admit if I suggest a package this is only the second best way to
success since if you do a volunteer work as in Debian you usually get
the strongest relation to the task if you really want it *yourself*.  So
while I could certainly pick a candidate that fits form our todo list
which would fit your skills above I would consider it more promising if
you say:  Hey, I'm really missing software X in Debian since I'm using
it every day / need to use it soon.  This usually works better since
you are profiting yourself from the work you are doing.

Moreover the sense of the MoM effort is not only to give the student
some technical training but also a kind introduction into the team.
Considering your feelings might be more on ... say embedded Debian ...
or something like this you will have no real connection to the team
dealing with embedded devices if you get an introduction to Debian Med.
Well, we have team members who confirmed not to have any medical or
biological background and just joined because its fun to work in Debian
Med.  While this is a great compliment I would not want to take this as
a first argument to join the Debian Med team. :-)

In short:  Simply take your time whether you will find some software
which is really interesting for *you*.  As far as I understood your PM
you will not be able to start right now and thus you have time.  As a
fallback I'll come up with an alternative.  In any case I added your
name to the MoM page[1] - please do not be shy and move it up to the
table claiming a month for you and if you found a packag you can also
add this.  The don't be shy lesson is one task you should also learn in
MoM.  Its a Wiki and you can change it (and if there might be some
conflict we can revert changes without any harm).

Finally a word of warning motivated by some other private response I
received via private mail:  While I always *try* to be polite I might
fail in doing so since I tend to be clear and precise in technical
discussions which sometimes might sound rough.  Please always "Assume
good faith" (as in Debian Code of Conduct[4]) and if something comes
unexpected to you simply ask how it was meant.

> sincerely,
> Mali Asemani
>
> P.S: Xamin is an open source distro in server side based on Debian, which
> provides users with some special facilities for virtualization and
> orchestration, and it introduces a production line for creating virtual
> appliances. Link to Xamin site: http://xamin.ir/en/

I'd recommend that Xamin should be added to Debian Derivatives
Census[5].  There is also the debian-derivatives mailing list you might
possibly want to join.

Kind regards and thanks for your interest in the MoM project

       Andreas.

[4] https://www.debian.org/code_of_conduct
[5] https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census

--